December 6th, 2022
When it comes down to the ways in which a molder will accomplish their company’s purging procedures, many factors should come into play. Oftentimes these cost-based decisions are wrongly placed on the types of methods and compounds used to implement the process, rather than taking a close look at the bigger picture.
The ability to expedite an efficient purging approach with minimal downtime or waste will afford the greatest bang for your buck. For example, some molders may think they are saving money by foregoing the purging product itself and simply run resin through the barrel until it comes out clean. The lost time and output using this methodology will usually far outweigh the expense of simply utilizing a high-quality purging compound. The same thing could occur when the choice is made to purchase a cheap, lower-quality purging formula.
In some cases, an ill-informed purchasing agent might not want to approve spending to buy a superior purging compound based on its price alone without understanding all cost implications regarding waste and manufacturer downtime. Therefore, it’s critical that the production floor team communicates with management/purchasing so there is complete clarity about the real budget of the entire purging approach used, not just the dollar amount of the chosen product.
Try Slide’s purging calculator to determine the true cost associated with your specific operation.
Choosing The Right Purging Compound
Each molding environment/application requires research and testing to find the best compound for the task. The Slide team has highly skilled purge specialists with years of experience who will support and assist you in finding the ultimate solution for your unique operation. Our formulas include both mechanical and chemical purges in addition to a liquid compound with advantages of both.
- Econo-Purge Purging Compound is excellent for use in hot runner systems and is good at eliminating streaking and black spots.
- KLENZ Purging Compound – chemically reactive and GRAS rated, safe for food packaging operations.
- Purge-Atory Purging Compound – also chemically reactive and is recommended for use with gas emitting resins.
- NPT NuPurge Technology Purging Compound – eliminates the need for multiple purging products, no mixing required.
- PDQ Liquid Purging Compound – concentrated water-based additive, mixes with any carrier resin to remove contamination from the barrel assembly.
- Hi-Temp Purge Compound is a chemically reactive and non-abrasive GRAS rated formula; aids with purging engineering-based resins.
Slide Is at Your Service
Our experts can be easily reached to help you with your purging questions or concerns. You can receive complimentary assessments, advice and training through our Top Tier Service program. We also offer free trial samples of our products so you can try before you buy. Contact us directly, through your local distributor, or by phone at 1-800-323-6433.